I’ve been thinking a lot lately about how I wish my life were different — quieter, simpler, more peaceful. I often go on these jags where I become obsessed with moving to the countryside and living in a small house with just the basics. In my imagination it seems like the ideal life. But the reality is that it’s not realistic for me, or for most people, I suspect.
So what do you do when you just feel like shit is weighing you down?
Find gratitude. Find it in all areas of your life, and it will totally shift the way you think about your present situation. Find the time for gratitude everyday!
When I start to feel overwhelmed or sorry for myself I have to stop and remember that I am blessed beyond measure.
- I have a wonderful husband who adores me.
- I own an a lovely house that many people would be happy to have.
- I have some money in the bank and there is always food on the table.
- I wake up every morning and I can stand up without too much pain.
- I can see, hear, smell, touch, and taste easily.
- I have friendships with people I truly love and admire.
- I have a supportive network of people who are around to support me when I’m feeling bad about my body.
- I live in a place where it’s sunny pretty much everyday of the year.
- I have a family that is kooky but totally awesome!
- I have a job that allows me to earn a pretty decent living.
Take a few minutes in the morning or at night before bed to make a list of 5 or 10 things you’re grateful for. Remember, there is always someone somewhere that wishes they had what you have.